4th December 2014 –
Dust mites are tiny microscopic relatives of the spider. Their habitat consists of mattresses, bedding, upholstered furniture, carpets and curtains.
Dust mites feed on flakes of skin from animals and pets and thrive in warm and humid environments.
Your home or office will always have some dust mites, as they cannot really ever be totally eliminated. But do not worry – enforcing the following measures can reduce dust mites:
- Maintaining humidity to 50% or below can have a dramatic effect on the number of thriving dust mites. You can maintain the humidity either through the use of a dehumidifier or air conditioning. (Just remember your office staff will be less productive if you ask them to work in freezing conditions.)
- Allergen impermeable covers for upholstered furniture are another method that will see dust mite reduction. As technology develops and more people are aware of covers and their uses and the fabric is more user friendly the more they are becoming available in all different designs, shapes and sizes.
- If you have a waiting area with a settee and cushions then make sure they are washed at least once a week in hot water. The water needs to be between 130-140 degrees Fahrenheit or higher to kill the dust mite. Dust mites will not survive extreme temperature conditions so freezing will also have the mass murder effect you are looking for.
- Replace office carpet tiles with bare floors such as linoleum, tile, laminate or wood. Curtain replacement if you have them can also make a contributing difference.
- Always use a damp mop or cloth to remove dust. Dry cloths just stir up mite allergens.
- Make sure your vacuum has either a double-layered micro filter bag or a HEPA filter so that allergens do not disperse when released in a vacuums exhaust.
- Ensure cleaning of office areas at least 20 minutes before office workers arrive so that any dust has time to settle after vacuuming.
On the market now days are a vast array of different sprays for dust mite termination. There are sprays for upholstered furniture, fabric and the air. Symptoms of dust mite allergies include sneezing, wheezing and runny noses. It can even bring on asthma attacks. Eczema and dermatitis can be exacerbated. Get a professional cleaner for your office today and help maintain the well being of your workforce. Only share your office with those that offer a healthy contribution.
To find a reliable office cleaner in the London region please obtain a quote from Out of Hour Cleaning Services today.
Out of Hours Cleaning Services offer comparisons for business cleaning quotes in the London area.